Channels
Home
About
Collaborate
Help Us

Author Topic: So much work, Too little time! Until now (soon)  (Read 2188 times)

Mildly Entertaining

• Global Moderator
  • I Love ME You Should Too
    • View Profile
    • Mildly Entertaining YouTube Channel
So much work, Too little time! Until now (soon)
« on: December.06.2018 - 11:28:35 PM »
This year I decided I wanted to make a quality YouTube channel but my work had different ideas. Next year will be different!

Recently I have been working 77+ hours a week!

In 2 or 3 months (Most likely the beginning of February) It will be down to just 15 hours. With basically the same pay.
That difference comes from working for myself instead of working for others.
I could work double and make more but I want to focus on YouTube. (much more enjoyable)

My plan is to work on my channel for 5 or more hours a day.
I don't expect burn out because I am used to working longer hours and when I work on video creation it does not feel like work. Sometimes I will eat dinner around 6pm and next time I look at the clock it is after 10pm and feels like only minutes have passed. I literally have set the alarm clock to remind myself to go to sleep!

I am also changing the format of my videos. Instead of a voice over I will actually host the videos. It will increase their quality, make them more personable and solve the problem of no relevant footage/pictures for (most of) my topics. Hopefully I will be a good host or at least Mildly Entertaining  ;D

I have a lot of stories ready so I will not have to find content just focus on everything else.

Basically I will be doing a 1 year YouTube challenge.
With the overall goal of making enough money to do YouTube full time.
While having fun doing something I love.
Anyone else interested?

Inspired by Travis McP : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NoYOaoVujY
Which was inspired by The Everyday Dad : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqvULRRboZeXVezSm_XduLQ

Another channel that has greatly inspired me and given me a lot of insight and information is:
Story Greenlight : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS4I5wtqpPcGI3VuUnRLBYg

Those three channels were found through the rabbit hole of :
Needs More Subs : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRmeMuZe8am3rSuEd-CLPg

Seriously thank you Needy!

Captain Needy

• Administrator
  • Hi. I'm Needy.
    • View Profile
Re: So much work, Too little time! Until now (soon)
« Reply #1 on: December.09.2018 - 03:37:32 PM »
You're welcome ME.

You are one of the content creators who takes it seriously what we are trying to illustrate here at NeedsMoreSubs.  Very, very, very eager to see what you come up with on your channel and to help you out in any way we can. 

Mildly Entertaining

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December.10.2018 - 01:36:42 AM »
I believe in what you are doing that is why I take it seriously. It is a really cool concept.

I will keep everyone informed about my channel progress in the months to come.

Keep on doing what you are doing!

Mildly Entertaining

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February.20.2019 - 12:33:09 AM »
I now have the time!

Trying to figure out how I can plan my day effectively. 

Right now just relaxing and all kinds of behind the scenes stuff, testing microphones in the new room, making a new channel intro, making/buying new lights (old ones fell into some water), finding a suitable hat, etc...

Looking forward to getting things started!

Captain Needy

• Administrator
  • Hi. I'm Needy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February.21.2019 - 01:31:06 PM »
Very, very cool ME!!    Does the cost of living where you'll be living make it easier to earn a living on YouTube? 

Still very eager to see your new format and to help you any way we can.

Mildly Entertaining

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February.23.2019 - 09:14:41 AM »
Very, very cool ME!!    Does the cost of living where you'll be living make it easier to earn a living on YouTube? 

Still very eager to see your new format and to help you any way we can.

Thank you!

Cost of living is very subjective, and up to personal lifestyles.
But for some reference I could live alone on only $350 a month while eating out at local restaurants for nearly every meal. 
1k a month is more than enough for a small family.

New format/style I would say similar to "Today I found out" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC64UiPJwM_e9AqAd7RiD7JA

In the future some cross promotion/intro swap could be fun I am definitely interested in collabs :D
I figure after 10ish videos.

« Last Edit: February.23.2019 - 09:21:13 AM by Mildly Entertaining »

Mildly Entertaining

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April.12.2019 - 05:29:20 AM »
Beginning of February beginning of April  close enough.

I finally got my schedule so I can make videos! First one is already published

Khan Star Trek's Most Famous Villain Is Named After A Missing WW2 Buddy

https://youtu.be/DQacKQQt0mM

Let me know what you think.

Originally I had a shelf behind me to the left but some termites got to it so now it is an outside shoe rack.
But it works great for "upper thirds" Which is way better than "lower thirds".

Improvements for next time:
Raise the level of the chair so you can see more of my shirt.
A little bit smoother transitions.
Smoother speaking.

Anything else?

Edit: Cant seem to get the video to embed just have to click the link I guess.
« Last Edit: April.12.2019 - 05:33:17 AM by Mildly Entertaining »

Captain Needy

• Administrator
  • Hi. I'm Needy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April.15.2019 - 07:38:26 AM »
Welcome back to making videos!!!  :)

That's a really good effort.  The areas of improvement that you identified are good areas to work on but I would really concentrate on #3.  Smoother speaking and more natural speaking.  The script content was great!  The pacing of the scrips was good and it was all easy to comprehend. 

Sometimes when we're working out where to place a script so that we can still see it but still look like we're looking at the camera and also trying to concentrate at the same time it makes the dialogue more unnatural.  You might want to try a bunch of test runs before you even turn the camera on just to get more and more familiar with your content before you read it for real.  Or maybe cutting together the best pieces of a few different takes? 

Better camera positioning and smoother transition and all that jazz helps a lot too, but the smoothness of delivery is what really makes a lot of difference for viewers. 

note: We made it so that the youtu.be web addresses can be used to just post a link.  To get videos to embed now you have to use the full youtube dot com/watch?v=VideoCode type link. 

Mildly Entertaining

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April.15.2019 - 11:30:26 AM »
Welcome back to making videos!!!  :)

That's a really good effort.  The areas of improvement that you identified are good areas to work on but I would really concentrate on #3.  Smoother speaking and more natural speaking.  The script content was great!  The pacing of the scrips was good and it was all easy to comprehend. 

Sometimes when we're working out where to place a script so that we can still see it but still look like we're looking at the camera and also trying to concentrate at the same time it makes the dialogue more unnatural.  You might want to try a bunch of test runs before you even turn the camera on just to get more and more familiar with your content before you read it for real.  Or maybe cutting together the best pieces of a few different takes? 

Better camera positioning and smoother transition and all that jazz helps a lot too, but the smoothness of delivery is what really makes a lot of difference for viewers. 

note: We made it so that the youtu.be web addresses can be used to just post a link.  To get videos to embed now you have to use the full youtube dot com/watch?v=VideoCode type link. 

Some great feedback thank you. It is very useful.

There should be noticeable improvements between each video. (For the first dozen or so anyway)
I agree Smoother speaking seems to need the most improvement. Probably best solved with multiple takes for now and general improvement over time.

I can make a voice over video a lot faster.  But channels with a person/host perform better. Even looking at my own subscription list only one is voice over and another 2 are animation.

My background will be different since rooms were rearranged. Should be fixed up by this weekend.

Captain Needy

• Administrator
  • Hi. I'm Needy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April.16.2019 - 08:49:44 PM »
What about the idea of doing 50% or more as voice over and cutting that together with some jump juts of you speaking some of the easier parts without reading?  As long as the volume levels of the two different kinds of audio match it could be a smooth way to produce a video. 

Mildly Entertaining

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April.18.2019 - 01:16:03 AM »
What about the idea of doing 50% or more as voice over and cutting that together with some jump juts of you speaking some of the easier parts without reading?  As long as the volume levels of the two different kinds of audio match it could be a smooth way to produce a video. 

Sounds like a good idea. I like that.

I will try some experiments soon. Just rearranged the house and I am trying to buy a farm tractor so a little busy this week.

Mildly Entertaining

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May.15.2019 - 12:06:54 AM »
I did end up getting that farm tractor. So far seems like a good investment.

I kind of disappeared for a little while.

I have a few YouTube channels. One of them was relatively successful. It was making $600-$800 a month. (Though in a niche I find boring)
But YouTube demonetized it. Basically for using a robotic voice.
According to their updated rules you cant do that. That channel was also close though not quite breaking a couple of other rules.

So because of that loss of income. I had to put more effort into my offline business.
Which actually work out very very well.  :D :D :D

However I now have less time for YouTube....
I can probably still make 2ish videos a month.
Or if the videos were just voice over I could probably do 1-2 a week.
Though I would need to think of something for when I cant find anything to show.

I really like the Mildly Entertaining concept just considering what I should do.

Captain Needy

• Administrator
  • Hi. I'm Needy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May.15.2019 - 07:58:08 PM »
The channel that you find boring that got demonetized do you still have access to it? 

Congrats on your farm tractor.  Good luck with that endeavor. 

Well having your own onscreen presence could take up some of the time.  Or even cinematic footage of yourself doing something related to the topic.  Really anything that's mildly entertaining and visually appealing can pad out spaces where you don't have something related to show. 

Mildly Entertaining

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May.27.2019 - 12:34:37 AM »
The channel that you find boring that got demonetized do you still have access to it? 

Congrats on your farm tractor.  Good luck with that endeavor. 

Well having your own onscreen presence could take up some of the time.  Or even cinematic footage of yourself doing something related to the topic.  Really anything that's mildly entertaining and visually appealing can pad out spaces where you don't have something related to show. 

Yes I still have access to it. And already denied for remonetization. The amount of views it gets is about a tenth of what it was monetized.
Nothing I can really do about it.

But because of it I focused on my offline business to make up the difference. Which worked out very well.
Though now I need an actual office as the home office has too many distractions to work efficiently.

Once I get things settled a little more I should start making videos.

Captain Needy

• Administrator
  • Hi. I'm Needy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June.04.2019 - 03:08:41 PM »
The main reason I ask is that it sounds like that channel had a lot of interest in it, maybe interest that is very niche specific focussed around some topic or another.  Often a channel like that has the potential to make money in many other ways than just adsense.  It might be a thing to explore anyway.  If those kinds of traffic levels could be resuscitated there might be plenty of other monetization possibilities other than YouTube.

I know what you mean about distractions in the home office.  But I have found a few ways to focus and work effectively here. 

Very eager to see your next steps on Mildly Entertaining. 

NeedsMoresubs music
for sale on bandcamp!!

In case this isn't obvious... um... Needs More Subs is not affiliated with YouTube in any official capacity. Or in any other kind of capacity.